Monday, April 27, 2009

In which there is fire, ice and probably too many "quotation" marks

(I started writing this post last Monday.  Let's pretend I finished it then and posted it, too, 'k?)

*************

"Is it possible to hate everyone all at the same time?" SK asked me at work this morning.

"Of course," I answered.  "It's called 'Monday'."

**********

It was exceptionally hot this weekend, so I broke down and bought a fan from the local hardware store.  I got the "Blizzard", which has three speeds, oscillates, has a timer and features two breeze modes.  I'm not really sure what that means, but if it makes it feel like a blizzard in my apartment it's worth it.   I spent the evening yesterday trying to stay as close to the fan as possible.  I took it to bed with me, setting it on the floor so that it would blow onto my face or on my back, depending on which side I was sleeping on.  I woke up this morning to an odd noise, and once I was mostly conscious, I attributed it to my blanket getting caught in my fan.  

"That's not good," I observed to the Blizzard, and easily pulled the blanket away from the fan. I heard the noise again snapped to the fact that it was coming from outside my window.  I peeked out to see what was going on.  I saw firemen (mmmm...firemen) tromping around on the roof of the building across the street, shining their flashlights everywhere, and when I looked down into the street, I saw three fire engines, paramedics and a couple of other support vehicles all with their lights flashing.  The sound that woke me was actually the firemen cutting the lock off the door of the mexican restaurant across the street. 

There were no flames, but there was the requisite smoke, firemen with hoses and evacuees from the building above the restaurant.  Two more fire engines showed up.  I deemed the situation 'under control' and went back to sleep.  

When I left for work this morning, I saw two Con Ed trucks outside the restaurant and therefore surmised that the fire must have been electrical.  Or, perhaps someone was just making some really hot nachos.  

Mmmmm...nachos.  And firemen.  A pretty good way to start the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment